Thursday, January 2, 2014

Cultivating the Soil - The Playlist

I feel like I've been cultivating the soil in anticipation of starting my Optifast program.  Tonight is the big night -- my first meeting with my group.  I get to meet the people I will go through this adventure with, and I'm sure we will get to know each other very well over the course of the next few months.  This is exciting!

When I joined the Y near my workplace and started working out every morning before work, I created an inspirational playlist on my iPhone that has really carried me and kept me on track.  It's not upbeat workout music, but rather more on the "music therapy" spectrum. When I listened to it on my way to the gym this morning, I wondered how the words of the songs might mean something different to me as I begin to confront my addictive eating and take on that challenge.  Here is the playlist in case it's of interest (I usually shuffle it):

  • It's My Life - Bon Jovi
  • Right Now - Van Halen
  • Dare You to Move - Switchfoot 
  • Star - Bryan Adams
  • Working on a Dream - Bruce Springsteen
  • The Rising - Bruce Springsteen
  • Where the River Flows - Collective Soul
  • True Colors - Cyndi Lauper
  • The Age of Worry - John Mayer
  • Learn How to Fall - Paul Simon
  • Learned My Lessons - Jenny O.
  • Shadow Days - John Mayer
I learned about the Switchfoot song when I Googled "Inspirational Playlists" and this is THE SONG that I think captures my journey the best.  I have no idea what else this group sings, but they nailed it with this one.

So this week I'll be recording my foods, drinking lots of water and basically getting ready for the fast that will follow in another week.  I'm scared, but ready.

No comments: