Thursday, August 7, 2014

Week 32 Weigh-In: The Power of Support

162.5 lbs.

It was nice to be back in my Optifast group tonight, and I came away with an appreciation for how resilient human beings are, and how nice it is to reach out for support and positive energy during tough times.  Many of my group members are in the middle of extremely stressful circumstances, and yet there we were, sitting in our class, carving out time to share our feelings, gain support and validation from group members, and in turn, offer our support and encouragement to those in need. I'm finding that both of those actions - the giving and the receiving - are equally important to the healing process.  

I have often felt uncomfortable asking for help.  I don't know if it was some kind of notion that I would be admitting weakness, or appear vulnerable to others.  The idea of sharing  my struggles and receiving support is not something that comes naturally to me.  But through this process, I have come to realize the strength and understanding that can be developed during the group support process.  I also feel very happy that at times I can validate and encourage others as well.  This process can bring out the best in people.  I have learned to trust, let go of my hang-ups, and humbly receive the support and encouragement from my group as they patiently listen to my challenges.  I also realize that I have things to say and experiences to share that might be of help to them, and that has been a fulfilling experience.

In the past when I have felt stressed out, I would find myself wanting to bail out of group meetings or healthy activities (like exercise) even though I knew they would help me in the long run.  I don't know why at this time in my life, something clicked and I am suddenly carving out this time to care for myself and offer support to others who are walking this same road.  I'm missing many of son's soccer games and putting off chores and gatherings with friends.  But Thursdays have become my sacred time for the purpose of focusing on my relationship with food, and exploring issues with others who are trying to heal as well.  I have never experienced a group process like this one, and I have to say that it has helped me tremendously.

Additionally, starting this blog and writing out my thoughts on this experience has been a big part of my healing.  I've been blessed with the support of readers and other bloggers, and have found tremendous inspiration from others who are writing about their weight loss and maintenance experiences, or logging their activity on MyFitnessPal.  I'm a lurker on many blogs, and their words have inspired and touched me.  I've immersed myself in a complete culture of support, and I can honestly say that I would never have gotten this far without my group and my online community.

I hope all of you are finding the support that you need at this time.










1 comment:

Kathy said...

Christy,

I am right there with you on having a hard time asking others for help. I've always been a person that would just roll up my sleeves and do it myself. Feeling vulnerable with other people is hard, but I've also learned that leaning on others for support has been wonderful. I have met many gracious, loving people who are there for me and, in turn, I'm there for them, too. Thank you for the support you always give me! I thank God we're not doing this alone ;-)