Wednesday, May 28, 2014

On the Pulse of Morning - Goodbye Maya

I started my day with the sad news of the passing of Maya Angelou.  For a long time I have found inspiration in her words both written, and spoken in her beautiful deep voice.  I'm so thankful that I was able to share this planet with her for a few years, and even hear her speak on occasion.  I want to share an excerpt of one of my favorite poems written by her.  "On the Pulse of Morning."  I was in attendance at the inauguration of Bill Clinton when she read this beautiful poem, and I've reflected on it many times.  Here are some words of inspiration from that beautiful woman:

Lift up your eyes upon
The day breaking for you.

Give birth again
To the dream.

Women, children, men,
Take it into the palms of your hands.

Mold it into the shape of your most
Private need. Sculpt it into
The image of your most public self.
Lift up your hearts
Each new hour holds new chances
For new beginnings.

And here is the link to her reading the poem in its entirety (courtesy of the William J. Clinton Presidential Library).


No comments: